Rakuten KENPO takes the following measures to appropriately safeguard information concerning individual members (“personal information” hereinafter).
- The Health Insurance Society implements appropriate safety measures to safeguard the personal information it obtains on its members against leaks, loss, damage, or improper access.
- The Health Insurance Society uses the personal information provided by members solely for purposes considered beneficial for members, such as health maintenance and promotion. In addition, it uses Individual Numbers only within the scope of the purposes specified in the Act on the Use of Numbers to Identify a Specific Individual in Administrative Procedure.
- Except when it has obtained advance consent from the member, the Health Insurance Society will not provide personal information on a member to any third party. Additionally, it will not provide personal information containing Individual Numbers (“identifying personal information” hereinafter), whether or not the individual has consented, except in the cases specified in the Act on the Use of Numbers to Identify a Specific Individual in Administrative Procedure. However, in the following cases, it may provide personal information on members other than identifying personal information to third parties without obtaining advance consent from members:
- As stipulated by laws or regulations
- When necessary to protect the life, safety, or property of an individual in cases in which obtaining the consent of the member would be difficult
- When necessary to improve public health or to promote the healthy growth of children in cases in which obtaining the consent of the member would be difficult
- When necessary to cooperate with national governmental bodies or local governmental authorities, or parties entrusted by national government bodies or local governmental authorities to execute affairs as specified by law or regulations in cases in which obtaining the consent of the member could impede their execution
- In addition to training and raising awareness among employees regarding personal information protection, the Health Insurance Society will strive to manage personal information appropriately by assigning persons responsible for such management at each section that handles personal information.
- When subcontracting its business operations, the Health Insurance Society will carry out reviews and implement improvements to strengthen personal information protection measures. When concluding business subcontracting agreements, it will carefully examine the competence of subcontractors and consider issues relevant to personal information protection in the content of such agreements.
- A member who wishes to review, revise, or otherwise access his or her personal information may contact the Health Insurance Society's Privacy Contact. The contact there will respond swiftly to such requests to the extent reasonable.
- ■The Society continuously prepares anonymized information*1 for use for health activities, epidemiological surveys, and other purposes, providing this information to the Rezept analysis vendor (JMDC Inc.) by electronic communication. The anonymized information prepared and provided includes gender, birth date, medical insurance eligibility information (e.g., period of membership), examination records from medical cost details, and health examination records. No information is included that could be used to identify specific individuals.
- *1 Anonymized information refers to information concerning individuals and processed to render impossible the identification of specific individuals. Such information cannot be processed in any way to return it to a state in which it could be used to identify specific individuals.